About this Photograph
Photograph courtesy Richardson Public Library.
This is a vintage photograph of the 100 block of present-day East Main Street, taken about 1909. The view is toward the west.
LEFT (South side of E. Main)
- Lot 14, Block 4 (present 118 E. Main). Harben's Grocery Store. NOTE: Property purchased 1906 from H.&T.C. by Dr. Raymond P. Harben. Sons Jess and Hugh Harben operated grocery store for two years in this building constructed by contractor R. L. Poole.
- Lot 13, Block 4 (present 116 Main). Type of business unknown. NOTE: This property purchased 1901 from H.&T.C. by M. W Lowery, who in 1904 sold it to Thomas Newton "Newt" Harris, who in 1905 sold it to C. H. Blewett.
- Lot 12, Block 4 (present 112-114 E. Main). Thomas N. "Newt" Harris' barbershop. NOTE: Newt Harris purchased this property in 1906 from H.&T.C. and operated a barber shop here for over 40 years.
- Lot 11, Block 4 (present 110 E. Main) Brack Lotheridge's soft drink stand. NOTE: This property, purchased by Lotheridge in 1895, may be the oldest commercial building in Richardson. In 1938, Lotheridge's daughter sold property to Mayor Tom Jackson, who had original frame building bricked in and then used as an office.
- Lot 10, Block 4 (present 100, 102, 104, and 106 E. Main). General Store formerly owned by Arthur R. White. NOTE: This building was on present-day Texas Street (then Central Street) facing RR tracks.
RIGHT (North side of E. Main)
- Railroad Reservation: (present DART right-of-way). Second Houston & Texas Central Railway Depot, built 1907.
- West end of Lots 1, 2, 3 & 4, Block 5 (present 101-103 E. Main). Brick building constructed about 1898: Thompson's Dry Goods Store. NOTE: All of Lots 1 & 2, block 5 bought from H.&T.C, in 1881 by Patrons of Husbandry who sold to P. W. Huffhines, who sold to J. N. Thompson and Partners, who sold east end of both lots (25x50 feet) to Stratton brothers, who sold to Stansell brothers.
Middle portion of Lots 1, 2, 3 & 4, Block 5 (present 105 E. Main). Vacant. Thompson sold part of Lots 1 & 2 to Richardson Hardware Company (RHC) in 1907. RHC already owned parts of Lots 3 & 4, Block 5. At the same time, RHC sold west end of Lots 3 & 4, Block 5 to Thompson.
- One-half East end of Lots 1, 2, 3 & 4, Block 5 (present 107 E. Main). Alvin L. Ragsdale's variety store.
- One-half East end of Lots 1, 2, 3 & 4, Block 5 (present 107 E. Main). Richardson Hardware Company.
- Lot 18, Block 5 (present 111 E. Main). Brick building constructed 1898: Citizens State Bank, 1st floor and Odd Fellows Hall, 2nd floor.
- Lot 17, Block 5 (present 115 E. Main). Harben's Drugstore.
- Lot 16, Block 5 (present 117 E. Main). James E. Day's grocery store.
- Lot 15, Block 5 (present 119 E. Main). Type of business unknown. Owner unknown.
Background (west side of RR tracks)
- Lot 10, Block 17 (present 103 W. Main). Interurban Depot, constructed 1909.
- Lot 1, Block 16 (present 160 W. Main). Farrell's Livery Stable.
This website copyright © 2022-2023 (except where noted) by the Richardson Historical & Genealogical Society. All rights reserved.